Today I am back with a recipe which tastes best when it is hot and spicy! If you go to any place in Maharashtra especially Pune or Kolhapur don't miss out eating this tasty dish called 'Misal Pav'. Meaning of word 'Misal' is Mixture. This recipe gets its wonderful flavors by mixing different delicious things. Main part of this mixture is Sabji/Usal made from sprouted Matki/Moth beans. To give a nice spicy kick, we add something called as Tarri/Kat which is actually thin gravy. To top it off we also add mixture/farsan/chivda, curd ,finely chopped onion,coriander.
I would also like to thank my dear blogger buddy Swapna(http://swapnasridhar.blogspot.com//) who has shared this 'Honest Scrap' award with me. Thanks alot dearie for this sweet gesture.
For making Matki/Moth beans Sabji
1/2 cup matki/moth beans
1 potato peeled and diced
1 onion finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
3 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
For making Kat/Tarri/Gravy
1 onion diced
1 tomato diced
1 inch ginger
2-3 garlic cloves
3-4 tbsp dry coconut
1/2 inch cinnamon
1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
2-3 black pepper
1 tsp coriander seeds
3-4 tsp red chilli powder
5-6 tbsp oil
1 cup farsan/chivda/mixture
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 cup curd
Making Matki Usal/Sabji -
- We need sprouted Matki/Moth beans for Misal. So soak Matki/Moth beans in water for 7-8 hours. Afterwards drain the water and put beans in cotton cloth. Tie the cloth and leave it for another 7-8 hours for sprouting. If you do not have any cotton cloth you can just keep moth beans covered. This will take little extra time for sprouting.
- Heat oil in deep kadhai. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, onion. When onion becomes translucent add tomato and fry till tomato becomes soft.
- Then add sprouted matki,potato cubes. Add red chilli powder, garam masala,salt. Add 3-4 cups of water.
- Cover with lid and let it cook till matki beans are completely cooked and sabji becomes dry. This will take 20-25 minutes to cook.
- Dry roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black pepper, clove, cinnamon and coconut.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in small kadhai. Also add garlic cloves and onion. Fry till onion becomes golden.
- Add tomato and fry till it becomes tender.
- Grind all these ingredients to a smooth paste.
- Heat remaining oil in deep kadhai.
- Add paste formed earlier. Fry for 2-3 minutes. Add red chilli powder.
- Add 2-3 cups of water. Add salt. Let this simmer for 5-10 minutes. This gravy should be little hot and oily.
Steps for serving:
- Put 1-2 big spoons of moth/matki sabji in a bowl.
- Add tarri/gravy on this. Add 2-3 tbsp farsan/chivda. Garnish with finely chopped onion.
- If you like curd you can add 1 tbsp curd or squeeze lemon.
Fantastic Misal is ready to be served with Bread/Pav