Ingredients for Gravy:
1 big bunch of spinach/palak cut lengthwise
2 tomatoes finely chopped
1 big onion finely chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp dhania powder
2 tbsp oil
- In kadhai heat oil. Add cumin seeds.
- When they splutter add onion. Fry for 3-4 minutes till they turn golden.
- Add tomato,ginger and fry till they become nice tender.
- Add spinach, red chilli powder, dhania powder, garam masala and salt.
- Add a cup of water. Let this simmer for 4-5 minutes till nice gravy consistency is formed.
Ingredients for Koftas:
1/2 cup kabuli chana/cheakpeas soaked in water for 5-6 hours
1 onion finely chopped
1 cup coriander leaves
3-4 green chillies
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
3-4 cloves of garlic
3-4 tbsp besan
Oil for shallow frying
- Boil soaked kabuli chana till they are cooked.
- Spread chana on a cotton cloth for 30-40 minutes till they become dry.
- Grind kabuli chana with coriander leaves, green chillies, garlic to a coarse dry powder.
- To this coarse powder add onion, lemon juice, salt. Add water just enough to make it moist.
- Add besan for binding this whole mixture.
- Make small flat koftas with this. Shallow fry them on both sides till they become golden.
Ingredients for preparing Biryani:
1 cup rice
1 tbsp oil
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- Soak rice in water for 1/2 an hour. Drain water and keep aside rice.
- In pressure cooker heat oil. Add clove, bay leaf. When nice aroma comes out add rice. Fry for a minute.
- Add water salt and pressure cook the rice.
- Heat butter. When it melts add milk and cardamom powder. Bring milk to boil. Keep this aside.
- Now for making different layers of biryani take a deep kadhai.
- First take small amount of rice and add a layer of rice on the bottom. On this layer make a layer of some koftas. Add a layer of gravy over this. It should cover all the koftas.
- Repeat this with a layer of rice, koftas and gravy. Finally on top add again layer of rice.
- On the top add milk boiled earlier.
- Cover this kadhai with aluminium foil.
- Heat pan. Keep this kadhai on pan and heat pan on low heat for 25-30 minutes.
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes